Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Greatest Miracle Of All

I sure that most parents think of their children as miracles, but there was a time in my life when I thought that I would never experience parenthood.

I was told that I would need fertility treatments in order to get pregnant. After I got married in 1992, I went to a specialist, and it sounded very promising until we got to the financial side of the process. Fertility treatments are not covered by insurance, and at the time, it was estimated that we would need to come-up with about ten thousand dollars for the first treatment. If that treatment did not work, they would talk to us about in vitro. No treatment was guaranteed to help me get pregnant, and I started to learn about the numerous couples who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on fertility treatments.

My husband and I considered getting a loan, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt it was not the right thing to do. My husband and I were both working at the time, and if we had a baby, I would not, could not leave my child with someone else so that I could continue working. If I stopped working, we would not have the money to pay back the loan.

It’s hard enough when you have a child, and are financially well off. If you’re already in the hole for thousands of dollars (excluding your house and car), what kind of life am I bringing a child into?

We decided to be the best aunt and uncle we could be to our nieces and nephews. I knew in my heart that God must have a plan for me. I can’t even begin to describe the soulful pain I had, because I wanted a child of my own. But I trusted that I would eventually be able to see His plan.

In 2005, my husband and I were approaching 13 years of marriage. I had been so sick for most of the year, and my doctor couldn’t find anything specific wrong with me. She eventually sent me for an ultrasound in October, when I found out why I was so sick; I was about six months pregnant!

My daughter Elisabeth is the greatest miracle I could have ever imagined for myself! (Which is why I have her picture at the top of my blog.) And as I was surfing the internet today, I found two books written by Deepok Chopra’s daughter, Mallika Chopra, titled, 100 Promises To My Baby and 100 Questions From My Child. Seeing these beautifully written books, inspired me to write about my greatest miracle of all, my daughter. Hopefully you will be inspired to leave a comment or two, and let me know about your miracles! I’d love to hear about them!

No comments: