Monday, July 28, 2008

Gratitude

Having gratitude for the big things in our lives is probably a real easy thing to do. We are thankful for our children, our home, our family, our job, etc., but how about the small blessings in our lives? I think it is probably more important that we practice focusing on the little, sometimes intangible blessings more than the larger, easy to recognize blessings, in order to help us recognize the multitude of miracles that happen in our lives on a daily basis!

My Intangible Blessings

This weekend, my husband and I attended the (Sold Out) San Diego ComicCon. It’s a convention of comic book collectors, artists, cartoons, Sci-Fi, gaming, and the fans. This was the first time we have ever gone, and it was the first time the convention was completely sold out, for all four days. My husband is a big comic book hero fan, and I thought it would be a nice birthday present for him and me to go.

Now, if you’ve read a previous post, you’ll know I prefer to stay away from crowded places. I was absolutely NOT looking forward to going to this, but for my husband, I would do it.

The big blessing that I have gratitude for is that I was able to procure the passes to ComicCon before it completely sold out, and my husband was so excited, and I felt really good about doing something for him.

The smaller blessing I am grateful for is that I actually enjoyed the experience! I feel gratitude because I remained clam and generally relaxed, even when the throngs of people were pushing me into other people, all in an effort to get a free t-shirt, or some other inconsequential freebie.

While we were gone, my mom took care of our two year old daughter, and I am grateful that she behaved herself, and did not jump off any high locations while grammie wasn’t looking.

Need Help?

Jack Canfield, co-author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series of books, has a couple of wonderful books about gratitude, and a beautiful journal that you can use as a guide for recognizing the positive areas of your life to be grateful for.

I highly recommend spending a few minutes each day, writing about, or thinking about the little blessings in your life! Feel the gratitude, and expect more miracles!

No comments: